Friday, June 01, 2012

Amanda's Amblings #5





 In the podcast today I talk about some early tunnel books I saw but I wasn't able to take any photos. Luckily I have been able to find some links to sites with photos and some with further information, in case you are interested in finding out more.


You can see The Thames Tunnel and Crystal Palace Peepshow, both of which I saw, at The Allegro Movable Book Collection (amazingly located in Australia!!) Just scroll down the page a little and you will see them.


There was an exhibition of children's pop-up books earlier this year at the University of Washington and they have some pictures of early German tunnel books by Martin Engelbrecht on their site. Again you need to scroll down, this time about half way down the page.


Over at the Smithsonian website, there is a post about the restoration of another Engelbrecht tunnel book and finally, if you're very keen, this link will take you to Historical Highlight in Paper Engineering, which briefly explains how tunnel books fit into the development of books, printing etc.

And to finish off, while I'm on the subject of miniature worlds, I saw this tiny etching press in the window of a workshop up the street.
You can see it does work, there are some tiny plates and actual prints.


And here is the inking table.

The workshop seemed to be for metal fabrication, so I'm a little unsure why the press is wooden. The tiny musical instruments seem to be more in keeping, but anyway perhaps they would be a good source of aluminium off-cuts for any local etchers.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda! Just "dropped in" after yesterday's bookbinding day. It was nice to meet you, although briefly. I hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did, and got loads out of it?

    Have been looking at your blog and some of your work -I think I like it here!

    This post is so nice - I love that gorgeous little press... would love it for myself!

    Enjoy the rest of your Travelling - I hope to pop back from time to time and see what other exciting things have been happening, on your travels and when you get home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finally caught up with your travels and I've been fascinated. I've enjoyed the podcasts, really nice to hear your experiences in your own voice, and your photos have been great. I've been very interested in tunnel books for ages so this post is very interesting to me and I've checked out the links. The mini press is a delight, I'm sure you'll have lots of friends wishing they had that! I'm also interested in the little wire fabrications pictured with the press. Just the kind of things I'm trying to make (she said hopefully...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Lizzie!Gosh! You meet the nicest people in the world of books!

    ReplyDelete